Hello fellow readers, this blog has been designed for the use and fulfillment of Education 693, Emerging Internet Technologies, at the University of Alaska Southeast.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Adobe Air

Upon going to the Adobe Air website, www.adobe.com/products/air/everyone/ I found an interactive Ajax desktop application called Earth Browser(http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1510519) and downloaded a demo version to my home computer. This application is awesome, it shows everything to do with the planet earth in one place. Here are a few of the items it includes:
stars,night shadows, city lights, northern lights (north and south poles),weather (for each continent), clouds, tropical storms, earthquakes, volcanoes, and wildland fires and much much more.
Each item can be checked on or off, depending on what I am interested in seeing and keeping an eye on. Foe example, I currently have wildland fires checked on, all the wildland fires in the U.S./Canada are shown with a symbol of fire marking there location. I can click on the symbol of one of the many fires marked on the earth, and a text screen pops up that tells me the name of the fire, its lat and long, size, and containment percentage. The same holds true for the volcanoes , if I click on one of the volcanoes, I can learn the name of the volcano, its location, lat and long, elevation and a brief synopsis of its present or past eruption history.
Earth browser has so much potential, and I feel like I don't even know the half of what it's capable of doing. I have the ability to spin the world on its access to see Asia, the South Pole, or Greenland. If I click on a city, the application also gives me the 7-day forecast.
As I mentioned before I am only in the demo mode, the application said it was free when I downloaded it, but occasionally a screen will pop up asking me to purchase something for a minimal price. I just ignore it, and click demo again. It seems to be up to date, and I don't appear to be lacking any pertinent information. I will be keeping this application on my computer for sure.
This is a great application that can be accessed through the desktop, and could be used in science, current events, geography lessons. Of course getting it downloaded on machines at a school site would have to be approved by an administrator, but I can't see why it wouldn't be. There are no adds, and no where else to go or wonder in the application.

No comments: