Hello fellow readers, this blog has been designed for the use and fulfillment of Education 693, Emerging Internet Technologies, at the University of Alaska Southeast.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Professional Web Applications

When I first read the words web application, I was like, what is this, am I already using these? Then there was a brief flash of light, and the ah ha factor. I realized that web applications are basically any software that I access through the web via the Internet. The best part about some web applications is the fact that you don't have to install software.

As suggested in our assignment I searched through the sites Patti graciously gave us and eventually found most of my web applications from the site www.go2web20.net. The first web application I found that related to elementary education was www.e-learningforkids.org. e-Learning for Kids is a global non-profit foundation that offers free online courses and lessons for children, ages 5-12. I was immediately happy when I realized I didn't have to install anything on my computer, and that this website would be available for students in a classroom with Internet service to use. There are lessons broken into subject category; math, science, English language, language arts, computer science and health science. I specifically looked deeper into the science section. I was a little disappointed with the amount of science lessons. However other subjects, like math, had many lessons to choose from, and were based on age level. While in the science category I chose to try out the lesson titled Conserving Earth's Resources. This semi-interactive unit gives vocabulary terms in relation to the topic, and leads the listener in sequential order through slides, that help define and explain what a resource is. The voice sounds like a intermediate aged student and doesn't seem to talk down to the listener either. All in all, I can't see this site as a web application that would accompany many of my lessons, but certainly could be one students could freely enter on their own in the classroom, without reservation.

The next web application I explored was www.dipity.com. This site allows people to make an interactive timeline that has the ability to be posted in ones blog. My main reason for choosing this application was for the specific use of having students make a timeline to help reinforce dates, and important times in history. I think students can create a timeline that represent their lives, historical inventions, scientific discoveries, and describe the most important influential periods of art. In order to create a timeline, one does have to sign up for an account, but other then that it is perfectly free and I did not have to download any software either. The features of the web application allowed me to create a timeline, and at each event I had the opportunity to attach a picture, description, video or link. The one draw back so far is that I can't seem to get the date I created the timeline off the timeline. Argh! I'm sure it's an option somewhere, all in time. It also appears that the timeline can be attached to ones blog if they so chose.

My third professional web application is zoeybot.com. This is a search application, like Google and Wikipedia, but specifically designed for kids. This application can be downloaded to classroom computers or accessed via the Internet. It is also free, yippee! Every one's favorite words. I found that this application is best suited for elementary aged students, as the pictures and definitions are a bit elementary for older students. Zoeybot, is developed by educators and parents to ensure that students can search for facts without being bombarded by ads and unnecessary content. I will definitely use this site as a resource in my elementary classroom.

Lastly, the last professional web application I investigated was www.pikikids.com. This site allows students to use Pikikids to create comics. I liked this site merely for fun, no particular subject or lessons came to mind. I thought it could possibly be a site that students could use during some free time in class. Participants do need a username and password, and this is relatively pain free and relatively little information is required. The creator is allowed to choose the comic layout, cell quantity and settings. Creators have the ability to upload photos, add text bubbles, and use a few effects as well. It is a very intuitive program and gives very detailed instructions. I would use this program in my classroom for sure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Naomi -- To delete an event (including the "Dipity Timeline Created" event) from the timeline, click the event, then click "Edit". At the bottom of the edit popup is a link to delete the event.

Thanks!
Zack (dipity.com)

Unknown said...

Naomi-

Well, I'll be Dipity. What a great site. I checked it out and found a timeline somebody did on growing broccoli. I can see this site being used in science, history, and language arts. Great find.

Jeff