Hello fellow readers, this blog has been designed for the use and fulfillment of Education 693, Emerging Internet Technologies, at the University of Alaska Southeast.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Current Topic: Integrate Web Application

In order to download any web applications to my work computer or any other computers on the UAS campus, I would need permission from my immediate supervisor. After the permission has been granted, I place a work order with our Instructional Technology department to actually download the application. I do not have the ability to change, alter, add or remove any programs or applications from my work station. I suspect that in some school districts this would be a similar case. Documentation requirements for the installation of anything on my work station only requires my supervisor or I to place a work order with instructions as to what I need downloaded or installed. Work orders may be phoned in or submitted via e-mail. I prefer to submit my work orders via e-mail, as a paper trail is always good, especially if one begins to question themselves - Did I submit that? It is a pretty basic procedure, but unfortunately can take some time before I see any results. So in my case, if I need a application installed or downloaded, it could be in my best interest to submit a work order in advance.

Since I have to go through this work order process, I find it easier to locate and use web applications that do not need to be downloaded or installed on my computer. It is easier for me to have an account and sign in when I need to use the application. On my home computer I am a little weird about downloading and installing programs just to have them. If I am not going to use it on a monthly basis, I prefer not to take up my hard drive’s space, but that’s just me. The web application I found used, and fill has the most potential to be successful in my future classroom is www.dipity.com, an interactive timeline creator. This application can be used for any subject, though I was thinking of its use for science. I like the possibility of using this resource for students to create timelines of scientific process, as an experiment log, or for the creating the life cycles of fauna and flora. Even though I currently do not teach I can use Dipity in my current position. This tool could be used to create a general timeline of events that occur in our department, my administrative roles and responsibilities, so the next individual to take this position can have a template for their work load and the School of Education activities.

No comments: